A guide to the Courier data logs and how to navigate the information they provide about messages, automation, recipients and lists.
Using the Message Logs
The Courier Message Logs provide a timeline and insights into the status of your notifications, recipients, lists and automations.
Your Notification Data at a Glance
The message logs convey a great deal of information in the summary view:
Statusof each message send request
Recipientof associate with each
Providerchannels for the notification
Send Status Key and Definitions
Each step in the Send status has a visual representation.
- Queued: Courier has received a properly formatted and valid Send API request and is attempting to Send the Notification.
- Sent: means that the channel provider sent the message to the recipient
- Delivered: certain channel providers allow us to confirm that the message was accepted (in the case of Email this means it hit their inbox).
- Opened: the message was delivered and opened by the recipient (only available for certain channel providers).
- Canceled: The message delivery was canceled.
- Clicked: user clicked a link in the notification. (This is only available for certain channel providers and only after you enable click tracking in Courier settings).
- Undeliverable: The channel provider did not accept the send request from Courier.
- Unmapped: the Notification ID does not exist or the Event ID included in the send command is not mapped to a Notification.
- Has Errors: indicates that the timeline in theSend detail view includes an error response.
Notification Log Detail View
To view the details of a Notification Send, click the Notification in the list view to open the Log details.
Send Detail View
When you click a Notification to open the Log Detail view you will see a Summary and Timeline.
- Summary - See details like the Message and Recipient IDs, as well as Date and time stamps for Send stages (Enqueued, Sent, First Delivery, Status, etc.).
- Timeline - Detailed timeline of every step in the timeline. The timeline can be scrolled and events in the timeline can be clicked to open additional details.
Timeline Event View
If you want to see the details of any event in the timeline, click it to open. As an example, you can click into the
Error Encountered tab in the timeline to review the error message.
Filtering your Message Logs
The message log includes a filter to search and narrow your notification logs by send
Errors, or to inspect the results of specific
Date, Recipient and Notification Filters
- The Log date filter allows you to filter to see notifications send on specific dates (see the pricing page for details on log retention timeframes).
- Filter by Email or Recipient ID
- Filter by a specific Notification or search them all.
Notification Status Filter
You can filter your Notification Logs by selecting one or more Status types: Queued, Sent, Delivered, Opened, Clicked, Undeliverable or Unmapped.
Unmapped means that an Event was posted to our Send API with an
eventId that does not map to a notification or an invalid notification ID.
Error Status Filter
You can also identify notifications with any status that also have errors.
You can review the logs of any combination of your integrated providers by selecting them in the
The Automation logs provide detailed insights into the status of an automation run as well as step details.
Automation Run List
Clicking into one of the automation in log opens the run summary, providing details on each of the steps in the automation.